Apply below if you are interested in being a mentor!
- To provide academic and social reinforcement to elementary students in areas of weakness as identified by the teacher or parent.
- To provide an additional consistent, stable, adult role model.
- St Mark’s United Methodist Church and Evergreen Elementary School have sponsored this successful mentoring program for 24 years.
- The program was recognized by the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors in 2014.
- We are always looking for additional adults who can visit a child at school for 1 hr per week on a consistent basis to help with academics and be a special friend. We are in particular need of adult male volunteers to work with our male students. We also use High School students who can make the one hour weekly commitment.
- Mentors are matched with two children for a total time commitment of one hour per week, November till May. Some volunteers choose to work with 3 students.
- Introduction to the program is provided by School Counselor, Amy Conrad, and student’s teachers supply an activity for the mentor to work on with the student each week.
- Activities may include reading with a child, helping practice basic math skills, learning vocabulary words, studying for quizzes or tests, catching up on unfinished classwork or homework, etc.
- High School Volunteers must be in grades 10-12 and have their own transportation. High School students generally volunteer between the hours of 2:30 and 3:45 after their school day, but scheduling can be flexible if the HS student has flexibility in their day.
All Mentors Need To Do Two Things:
1. Sign up at the following google survey link to gather your information and initial scheduling preferences.
All New Mentors will be contacted by Amy Conrad to attend a brief Orientation in September or October.
Returning Mentors will be contacted to finalize matches and scheduling in October.
Mentor Application/Survey: https://goo.gl/forms/QCzH6UMKLKsto9Mm2
2. All volunteers must also apply online with Chesterfield County at the following link and approval takes 2-4 weeks for permission to enter the school facility:
To get more info about the program you can contact Tim Manwaring, St Mark’s liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Amy Conrad, School Counselor at email@example.com, 804-378-2400 ext. 3019 (after September 2, 2019).